new york, ny
Originally owned by the prominent New York City real estate family, the Goelet’s, The Goelet Building was constructed in 1887 in what is now known as the NYC Landmarks Ladies’ Mile Historic District. Designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead & White, the Goelet Building “offers a sleek, sophisticated amalgam of industrial-style brickwork”, described in a 2006 New York Times article.
Throughout the years, the building’s windows were partially replaced in many different methods, ultimately leaving the wood sashes and windows in various states of disrepair. Skyline Windows was tasked with providing and installing products that would replicate the original windows throughout. It was essential to preserve the building’s 18th century architectural integrity while simultaneously provide 21st century fenestration. Skyline manufactured and installed Series 500 Inswings and fixed windows for the second floor, and Series 100 Double Hungs for the upper floors. All products installed are AAMA acoustical grade “AW”. The double hungs are marine glazed and the inswing casements are structurally glazed.
To maintain the curvature of the corner windows, Skyline produced curved in plan double hungs and inswing casements, as well as the monumental arched windows on the second floor. Additionally, Skyline replaced the corner IGUs on the second floor that are both curved in plan and meet a curved arch masonry opening. These IGUs are now dubbed at Skyline as the “Pope Hats”, given their likeness to a pontiff’s traditional head-wear.
The restoration of this property has been a labor of love and required a lot of hard work by the current owner. Upon Skyline’s substantial completion of the window replacement work at the end of 2018, this architectural jewel of NYC has been almost completely restored to its original glory for the next 100 years on the NYC Landmarks Ladies’ Mile.